There’s no shortage of hidden gems near Old Saybrook, Connecticut, home to the opulent Saybrook Point Resort & Marina, a classic, four-season New England respite. Present-day Old Saybrook was once the “Saybrook Colony,” founded in 1635 along the sandy, wind-swept banks of the broad Connecticut River. Thus, the region is brimming with historical significance, mouthwatering seafood, and countless aquatic pursuits, such as sailing, fishing, and paddling.
15 Hidden Gems in (or near) Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Saybrook Point Resort remains one of Connecticut’s most romantic getaways, especially for those who value history, natural beauty, and parcels of sophistication. The resort’s idyllic location on the edge of a mirroring marina is a short walk, bicycle ride, or drive from the area’s most secretive hidden gems. Many mid-day pursuits cost little to no money, allowing guests to indulge in several other ways, such as on-site spa treatments, exotic libations, and upgraded stays. Instead of frenziedly searching for “hidden gems near me” during your next escape to Saybrook Point Resort, remember to bookmark this article for future use.
- Dine on fresh-caught, same-day seafood at Fresh Salt
- Play 18 holes of golf at scenic Fox Hopyard
- Hook a boatload of striped bass with Sea Sprite Sportfishing as your guide
- Sail through Long Island Sound on a Joyride Charter
- Sip on a New England-style IPA or mixed berry sour at 30 Mile Brewing Co.
- Stroll through Sunset Hill Vineyard at dusk
- Learn about Saybrook Colony (founded in 1635) inside the 17-acre Fort Saybrook Monument Park
- Visit the old-world Hart House and Gardens
- Get “lost” in the Connecticut River Museum, a sprawling seascape attraction
- Meander through the Florence Griswold Museum, a wholly revamped Georgian-style mansion
- Purchase a bevy of keepsakes at the Essex Saybrook Antiques Village
- Paddle through the National Great Island Estuary on a Black Hall Outfitter-led eco-tour
- Go birding inside Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge
- Observe thought-provoking artworks inside the Lyme Art Association
- Hike through the heart of Nehantic State Forest
Hidden Gems in New England: Saybrook Point Resort
Saybrook Point Resort is a hidden gem in its own right; although, couples cannot resist the estate’s aesthetic allure, eye-popping gourmet cuisines, and convenient boat slips. As one of the premier places to stay in Old Saybrook, we’re dedicated to offering a genuinely memorable experience, regardless of the season. As we approach winter’s arrival, don’t overlook the captivating beauty of coastal Connecticut after a fresh snowfall. To learn more about our incredibly peaceful slice of New England, please visit our packages page (or call us directly at 860-395-2000).